- Construction Estimating Software
- Cost to Build a House
- Cost Per Square Foot
- Cost to Build by State
- How to Control Construction Cost
- Cost of Home Additions
- Roofing Cost Calculator
- Basement Construction Cost
- Cost Estimating Explained
- Contractor Bids too High?
- Should You Buy a Foreclosure
- New Home for Under 70,000
- Construction Inspections
- Free Contractor Estimates
- Best Way to Add Value to Your Home
- What's Your House Worth?
- Keep Cool with a Heat Pump
- How to Build a Dry Basement
- Cheap Hot Water/Fast!
- How to Pay Less For Kitchen Appliances
- Cheap Solar Power
- How to Save Money Buying Windows
- How to Find Good Contractors
- How to be a General Contractor
- List of Contractors You Will Need
- Cost to Build a Kit Home
- Modular vs Stick Built
- FREE Credit Score Calculator
- Construction Loans
- How to Get a Construction Loan
- Construction Loan Requirements
- Get Your Mortgage Approved
- Low Down Payments
- Bad Credit Home Loans
- Home Affordability Calculator
- Build a Mortgage Free House
- CLICK HERE FOR MORE HOME BUILDING TIPS
How Much Does it Cost to Build a House in Michigan
Here is an attractive 1-1/2 story traditional style home that truly shows the beauty of brick.
The 2,954 sq ft of living space consists of an open floor plan with large a master bedroom suite on the first floor, a large family room with fireplace, and an 18’ high vaulted ceiling front door entry.
1st floor 2093 sq ft
2nd floor 861 sq ft
Total Living area = 2954sq ft
Garage 460 sq ft
There are numerous other features to This Cool House Plan that make this home a showplace.
To estimate cost, I am selecting wood frame construction with brick veneer (#2 "Quality Class" for exterior Finish), full unfinished basement (#5 "Quality Class for foundation), and #6 "Quality Class" for the other categories.
Using this 10 corners foundation shape on the Craftsman Book Company's cost estimating software for Grand Rapids, MI area, I came up with an approximate total cost of $435,372, or $147.38 per sq. ft. and an approximate total cost of $382,362 for an owner/builder, or $129 per sq. ft.
I determined the owner/builder cost by deducting the General Contractor Markup of $53,010.
You should keep in mind that the cost to build for this example, or any house plan, can vary considerably depending quality of materials selected, and on actual bids for labor and materials.
Highly decorative, starkly original or exceptionally well-appointed residences will cost more.
Until you start getting actual bids and estimates and entering them into your own spreadsheet (see my spreadsheet page for FREE spreadsheets), any cost to build estimates will remain approximate.
Anyone can use the free software from Craftsman Book Co. to see how different quality selections will affect cost. For example, changing the siding selection from brick veneer to hardboard or inexpensive stucco reduces the cost approximately $41,798.
Important Notice: Cost estimates change. YOU can check to see if they have changed by running the Craftsman Book Co. free estimating software yourself. Keep in mind that these 2014 estimates are approximate and are just a guide.