Steps to Building a House
Summary: What are the steps in building a house and how long will each take? From construction loan, construction insurance, foundation contractors, siding contractors, to flooring contractors and home mortgage loan, here is how to build a house step by step.
During the planning stage (Getting Started), you will have prepared a budget, found a building lot (land), house plans, estimated the cost to build your new home, and have arranged your construction loan and home mortgage loan.
You have located most of your subcontractors and have contracts with them. You’ve visited various building supply companies for lumber, windows, concrete, bricks, etc., and have opened lines of credit with them.
Congratulations! You’ve reached the day you thought might never come. You’re ready to start building your new home.
What is the sequence of steps in building a new home, and how long will each take? Here is a list of how to build a new home step by step.
1. Staking the lot and house: 1-3 hours
2. Clearing and excavation: 1-3 days
3. Ordering utilities, temporary electric service, and a portable toilet: 1 hour
4. Footings (steps 3 and 4 can be reversed). First inspection must be made before pouring: 1 day
5. Foundation and soil treatment, then foundation survey: 1 week
6. Rough-ins for plumbing, if on a slab, and inspection: 2-4 days
7. Slabs, basement, and garage: 1-2 days
8. Framing and drying-in: 1-3 weeks
9. Exterior siding, trim, veneers: 1-3 weeks
10. Chimneys and roofing: 2 days-1 week
11. Rough-ins can be done while steps 9 and 10 are in progress: 1-2 weeks
12. Insulation: 3 days
13. Hardwood flooring and underlayment: 3 days-1 week
14. Drywall: 2 weeks
15. Priming walls and “pointing up”: 2 days
16. Interior trim and cabinets: 1-2 weeks
17. Painting: 2-3 weeks
18. Other trims, such as Formica, ceramic tile, vinyl floors: 1 day-1 week
19. Trimming out and finishing plumbing, mechanical, and electrical and hooking up utilities: 1-2 weeks
20. Cleanup: 2-3 days
21. Carpet and/or hardwood floor finish: 3 days-1 week
22. Driveway (if concrete, can be poured anytime after step 14): 1-3 days
23. Landscaping: 1-3 days
24. Final inspections, surveys, and mortgage loan refinance or modification of the construction loan.: 1-3 days
25. Enjoying your new home: A lifetime! Carl Heldmann