- Construction Estimating Software
- Cost to Build a House
- Cost Per Square Foot
- Cost to Build by State
- How to Control Construction Cost
- Cost of Home Additions
- Roofing Cost Calculator
- Basement Construction Cost
- Cost Estimating Explained
- Contractor Bids too High?
- Should You Buy a Foreclosure
- New Home for Under 70,000
- Construction Inspections
- Free Contractor Estimates
- Best Way to Add Value to Your Home
- What's Your House Worth?
- Keep Cool with a Heat Pump
- How to Build a Dry Basement
- Cheap Hot Water/Fast!
- How to Pay Less For Kitchen Appliances
- Cheap Solar Power
- How to Save Money Buying Windows
- How to Find Good Contractors
- How to be a General Contractor
- List of Contractors You Will Need
- Cost to Build a Kit Home
- Modular vs Stick Built
- FREE Credit Score Calculator
- Construction Loans
- How to Get a Construction Loan
- Construction Loan Requirements
- Get Your Mortgage Approved
- Low Down Payments
- Bad Credit Home Loans
- Home Affordability Calculator
- Build a Mortgage Free House
- CLICK HERE FOR MORE HOME BUILDING TIPS
Estimate Building Costs on a New Home in Southern California
Summary: Estimate construction costs for building a new home with a great room and vaulted ceilings in Southern California.
This is an attractive 4 bedroom, 2 bath ranch style house plan with a lot of nice features, yet it is only 1,412 sq. ft.
The front porch measures Approx. 27’ x 6’.
This plan as shown is with a full basement, but it can be easily modified for slab construction to save money or to accommodate a high water table.
I estimated the cost to build with a concrete slab foundation, as that is the typical foundation in San Bernardino, California.
Lifestyle Features: great room, suited for view lot, covered rear porch, vaulted ceiling, eating bar, covered front porch, unfinished/future space, split bedrooms & walk-in closet
HOUSEPLANS.COM - PLAN 18-1036
To estimate cost, I'll use my resource #5 , “Building Costs by City & State”, on "Getting Started" using minimum standard quality, concrete slab foundation, zero-clearance insulated prefab metal fireplace with brick face, and no garage.
Using this shape for the foundation on the cost estimating software for the San Bernardino, CA area, I came up with $116,069, including a general contractor markup of $13,278.
For a new house of 1,412 square feet of living space, that is an approximate cost of $82.20 per sq. ft.
This even included allowances for homeowners insurance or builders risk insurance.
You should keep in mind that the cost to build for this example, or any house plan, can vary considerably depending on the quality of materials selected, and on actual bids for labor and material.
Cost estimates change with time. YOU can update this 2015 estimate to see if it has, as well as experimenting with different building quality inputs that affect the cost to build.
Keep in mind that these estimates are approximate and are just a guide. Until you actually start getting your own bids and estimates and entering them into your own spreadsheet (see my spreadsheet page for FREE spreadsheets), they will remain approximate.
Good luck, Carl Heldmann
- How Much Does it Cost to Build a Craftsman Style House in South Carolina
- How to Estimate Construction Costs for a New Home in Colorado
- Cost to Build a House in Vermont With a Basement Foundation
- How to Estimate Home Construction Costs in Northern California.
- How Much Does it Cost to Build a House in Oregon