- Construction Estimating Software
- Cost to Build a House
- Cost Per Square Foot
- Cost to Build by State
- How to Control Construction Cost
- Cost of Home Additions
- Roofing Cost Calculator
- Basement Construction Cost
- Cost Estimating Explained
- Contractor Bids too High?
- Should You Buy a Foreclosure
- New Home for Under 70,000
- Construction Inspections
- Free Contractor Estimates
- Best Way to Add Value to Your Home
- What's Your House Worth?
- Keep Cool with a Heat Pump
- How to Build a Dry Basement
- Cheap Hot Water/Fast!
- How to Pay Less For Kitchen Appliances
- Cheap Solar Power
- How to Save Money Buying Windows
- How to Find Good Contractors
- How to be a General Contractor
- List of Contractors You Will Need
- Cost to Build a Kit Home
- Modular vs Stick Built
- FREE Credit Score Calculator
- Construction Loans
- How to Get a Construction Loan
- Construction Loan Requirements
- Get Your Mortgage Approved
- Low Down Payments
- Bad Credit Home Loans
- Home Affordability Calculator
- Build a Mortgage Free House
- CLICK HERE FOR MORE HOME BUILDING TIPS
Cost to Build a House in Indiana
How much does it cost to build a house in Indiana with a finished basement.
Thanks so much for your great web site! We recently bought "Be Your Own House Contractor" (5th ed.) and we're sure it's going to be very helpful when we begin to build in approx two years.
Our question has to do with cost estimating and whether we're doing it correctly using the Craftsman tool.
We came up with a total cost of $154,000 acting as our own General Contractor.
We live in Indiana in the South Bend zip code range.
Our property is in the country.
Thanks so much! Marla
The house plan that we love (and will suit our site) is this one:
Photos & Floor Plan From:
Architectural House Plans
This unique house was designed by R W Knight of Knight Architecture for clients who had a beautiful hillside lot that looks into a gorgeous bay in Maine.
It is striking!
I came up with a little more cost than you did.
Total living area: 1,647.
With an unfinished basement I came up with a total cost, including a $26,505 General Contractor markup of $217,700 or $132 per sq ft.
Basement area = 1,131 sq ft.
Total living area with a finished walkout basement = 2,778 sq ft.
With a finished basement I came up with a total cost of $239,489, including a General Contractor markup of @29,332 or $86 per sq ft.
By deducting the General Contractor’s Markup, equipment rental, and allowing only $2,000 for insurance I came up with the following estimated costs for an Owner/builder:
Owner/builder Estimated Cost to Build:
With an unfinished basement, $183,999 or $111.7 per sq ft.
With a finished basement, $201,980 or $72.7 per sq ft.
You should keep in mind that the cost to build for this example, or any house plan, can vary considerably depending quality of materials selected, and on actual bids for labor and material.
Again, the estimate for this house is an approximate one based on average quality materials with a basement.
Until you actually start getting bids and entering them into your own spreadsheet (see my spreadsheet page for FREE spreadsheets), it will remain approximate.
Enjoy and good luck,