- Construction Estimating Software
- Cost to Build a House
- Cost Per Square Foot
- Cost to Build by State
- How to Control Construction Cost
- Cost of Home Additions
- Roofing Cost Calculator
- Basement Construction Cost
- Cost Estimating Explained
- Contractor Bids too High?
- Should You Buy a Foreclosure
- New Home for Under 70,000
- Construction Inspections
- Free Contractor Estimates
- Best Way to Add Value to Your Home
- What's Your House Worth?
- Keep Cool with a Heat Pump
- How to Build a Dry Basement
- Cheap Hot Water/Fast!
- How to Pay Less For Kitchen Appliances
- Cheap Solar Power
- How to Save Money Buying Windows
- How to Find Good Contractors
- How to be a General Contractor
- List of Contractors You Will Need
- Cost to Build a Kit Home
- Modular vs Stick Built
- FREE Credit Score Calculator
- Construction Loans
- How to Get a Construction Loan
- Construction Loan Requirements
- Get Your Mortgage Approved
- Low Down Payments
- Bad Credit Home Loans
- Home Affordability Calculator
- Build a Mortgage Free House
- CLICK HERE FOR MORE HOME BUILDING TIPS
How Much Does it Cost to Build a House in Alabama
Summary: How much does it cost to build a house in Alabama. Building a living area or a habitable space in an attic is more expensive than most people realize.
Carl, what will a 2,400 Ranch house with 500 sq ft of non living area cost to build per sq. ft. in Birmingham AL.?
I believe I will have to have the house built on a slab foundation due to high water tables in the area.
Hi Barry, be sure to have the foundation contractor raise the concrete slab foundation high enough off the ground to prevent moisture problems.
500 sq ft of non living space is a rather large area that will add considerable construction cost even if you utilize an area in an attic.
Here’s a 2400 sq ft country home plan from Associated Designs with almost 400 sq ft of non living (bonus room) in the attic area over the garage.
Stairways near the utility room lead up to a large bonus room over an exceptionally deep garage.
It has an old-fashioned wrap-around porch that fronts this otherwise modern country home plan.
The vaulted dining room has a central apex, giving it a gazebo-like feeling.
Windows fill most of the family room s rear wall, and from the kitchen sink you have a clear view of both the family room and the scenery beyond.
Living Area: 2234 sq ft
Bonus Room over garage with 6.5 ft headroom: 489 sq ft
Garage: 755 sq ft
Garage: 3 bays, 755 sq ft
Recessed porch with roof: 160 sq ft
For the information input on this construction cost calculator I used Quality Class 6 throughout.
Total cost including the General Contractor’s markup of $35,392 = $294,496 = $132 per sq ft.
For an owner builder, subtract the General Contractor’s markup and it drops to $115 per sq ft.
Keep in mind that this is only a rough estimate created by a cost estimating algorithm.
This is a rather expensive house to build due to being a one story with many corners and a roof with a steep pitch, dormers, and many offsets.
Having a bonus room in the attic over the garage or any attic for that matter increases construction costs due to the need for extra framing of interior partition walls and a load bearing ceiling in the garage.
Read "Cost Estimating" for more information.
Good luck, Carl Heldmann